Help Make a Difference
Strengthen Communities & Change Lives with a Career at the Y
Working at the Y gives you the opportunity to strengthen communities and change lives, including your own. No matter what role you take on at the Y, you’ll show up each day with the satisfaction of knowing your contributions are helping to empower young people, improve health and well-being, and inspire action in your community. Working side by side with diverse leaders with different backgrounds, perspectives and strengths, you’ll discover new ways to connect with your community, find your purpose and fuel your passion every day!
We Invest in You
We work relentlessly to strengthen communities, starting with you. The Y sees all staff as Cause-Drive Leaders and, to help you reach your full potential, offers coaching, career pathing and training through a comprehensive leadership development and certification system.
To reward employees for their dedication to strengthening communities, the Y helps ensure a secure and comfortable retirement through The YMCA Retirement Fund (YRF). In addition to providing retirement benefits, the YMCA Retirement Fund is committed to results-driven, high quality financial services and education.
Opportunities for All Strengths
We value diverse perspectives and experiences and encourage our staff to serve in positions that allow their individual skills and talents to shine. At the Y, you’ll find opportunities to strengthen community while growing a career in the following fields:
Arts & Humanities
Child Welfare & Intervention
Marketing & Communications
Management & Administration
If you want more than just a job—if you’re looking to discover a sense of purpose and opportunities to contribute to the greater good—then the Y is the place for you. Join us!
Member Service Coordinator
Reports to: Senior Director of Membership & Wellness
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Under the direction and supervision of the Senior Director of Membership & Wellness and as a member of the Wallingford Family YMCA’s leadership team, the Member Services Coordinator shall be responsible for all day to day functioning of the Member Services Department as well as giving leadership to all activities of the Member Services Department. This person will oversee Member Services staff, Choate Fitness Center staff, and Managers on Duty to ensure consistent, superior service procedures to maximize member enrollment and program participation. The Member Services Coordinator, working as part of the Membership Team, will deliver professional customer service and relationship building skills to create a welcoming environment at the YMCA. The Coordinator will follow the practices of Living Our Cause and will exhibit the core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility in all aspects of their work with the YMCA. The end result will be a positive impact on membership and program enrollment, satisfaction and retention, and a strong, effective and highly motivated staff team.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area
- 4 years minimum customer service experience; 2 years minimum supervisory experience
- Strong communication skills, including excellent written and oral skills and the ability to actively listen
- Excellent customer service and problem solving skills
- Organizational and supervisory skills, a good understanding of administrative procedures and organization, income production, expense control, maintenance of accurate records and computer services
- Ability to delegate appropriate responsibilities to the staff
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with staff, volunteers, YMCA members and the general public is essential
- A willingness to commit to the mission of the YMCA
- Certification in First Aid, CPR and AED are required within 90 days of hire
- Be a role model in welcoming people to the Wallingford Family YMCA and connecting people to the YMCA’s cause by following the practices of Living Our Cause.
- Be familiar with the mission statement and core values of the YMCA. Model the core values while working and communicating with other staff members.
- Actively listen, reflect and respond to customer questions and concerns in a caring manner. When the opportunity presents itself, go above and beyond to resolve the situation immediately.
- Provide accurate information about membership, programs and services.
- Recruit, hire, train and supervise staff.
- Provide leadership for the continued improvement of all desk services to include member and constituent relations, information and program registration.
- Responsible for accurate entry of all membership/program records and accurate cash controls by Member Services staff. Monitor through ongoing audit.
- Monitor temporary signage in the building for current information, accuracy and professional look.
- Follow and enforce all YMCA procedures and policies, including personnel guidelines, safety guidelines, facility access procedures and membership policies. Carry out emergency plans as necessary.
- Assist in fundraising efforts and the Community Support Campaign, with a focus on Members as Donors.
- Assume other responsibilities as deemed appropriate by the supervisor.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office/recreational environment. Intermittent sitting, standing, walking are required.
- Sufficient agility, mobility and strength, including the ability to lift up to 50 lbs., to perform essential functions and to supervise programs.
- Hours will include evening and weekend work.
- Reliable transportation and travel among local branches will be required.
Safety is the responsibility of every employee of the YMCA. Each employee is charged with adhering to the YMCA’s Safety and Risk Management Program as directed by the management.
For more information, contact Sally Darrow, email@example.com.